Zz'Rot enables split push strategies that don't involve enough champion interaction. We may revisit this type of strategic item in the future, but if we do it'll require more risk for wielders to use.
WHAT'S IN A NAME : Malzahar's W stacks have been renamed from Gathering Swarm to Zz'Rot Swarm. Next patch, his W will also be renamed to Zz'Rot Swarm.
Price point and armor down
BUILD PATH : Rejuvenation Bead + [Chain Vest + 250 gold] ⇒ Cloth Armor + 450 gold
TOTAL COST :  ⇒ 900 gold
ARMOR :  ⇒ 30
COMBINE COST :  ⇒ 950 gold
TOTAL COST : 2650 gold (unchanged)
COMBINE COST :  ⇒ 1080 gold
TOTAL COST : 2700 gold (unchanged)
Portal cooldown and duration reduced. Voidspawn health scaling down and decay rate up. Voidspawn structure damage up.
Zz’Rot Portal should be the go-to defensive item for tanks who want to opt into a pushing strategy. However, we also want ZZ’Rot to be an engaging item that informs a tank’s playstyle, not something they fire and forget. The high travel range of Voidspawn gives Zz’Rot too much pressure even when its owner isn’t around to curate or replace it. We’re sharpening Zz’Rot’s power as the go-to tower-sieging item for aggressive pushers, while toning down its ability to control a lane from afar.
VOID GATE DURATION :  ⇒ 120 seconds
COOLDOWN :  ⇒ 120 seconds
VOIDSPAWN STRUCTURE DAMAGE : [5 per level (max 90)] ⇒ 20 per level (max 360)
VOIDSPAWN HEALTH SCALING Voidspawn no longer gain 50 health per level
VOIDSPAWN HEALTH DECAY : [10%] ⇒ 20% current health every 0.25 seconds
CREEPY, NOT CREEPS : Killing a voidspawn no longer increases your creep score
Less armor and magic resist. Portals give more gold to enemies and now have ward health.
Ah, Zz’Rot. While always seen a silly niche item, you eventually fought your way into our inventories. And then our lanes. And then all of our lanes, as it turns out. Zz’Rot’s intended to fill a strategic role, allowing teams to reactively opt-in to pushing when the situation calls for it (or proactively layer on an already push-heavy comp). Lately though it’s all been ‘stats first, strategy second’ for Zz’Rot buyers, warping regular and pro play alike. We’re focusing the item less on stat-lines and more on your ability to place and protect your portals.
ARMOR 60 : 55
MAGIC RESIST :  ⇒ 55
VOID GATE HEALTH : [300-1200] ⇒ 5
GOLD ON DEATH : [25 gold] ⇒ 50 gold
SPOILED : Voidspawn no longer consume Spoils of War (Relic Shield line)
IT’S LIKE A PINK WARD Basic attacks deal 1 damage to the Void Gate
FINISH THEM Void Gate's health will regenerate after being out of combat for 5 seconds
LOCATION CONFIRMED, SENDING SUPPLIES Now has a distinctive minimap icon
TOTAL cost : [2750 gold] ⇒ 2700 gold
BUILD path : Raptor Cloak + Negatron Cloak + 780 gold
BASE health REGEN 150% : 125%
More health regen and point runner decays over time. Voidspawn are tankier and go further, but deal less damage.
While an incredibly stat-efficient item already, Zz’rot is often seen more as a ‘gimmick’ and less of the neat strategic pushing tool it should be. A boatload of extra range (is distance measured in boats?) and increased survivability will grant teams seeking alternate forms of pressure a ticking-void-bomb’s worth of siege potential (given that you can protect that gate in the first place).
Failing that, you can always leave it in a lane while fighting your opponents in the jungle - often netting you two objectives at once. Now you’re thinking with portals.
TOTAL COST : [2800 gold] ⇒ 2750 gold
BASE HEALTH REGEN : [100%] ⇒ 150%
MOVEMENT SPEED NEAR TURRETS : [30%] ⇒ 20%
PORTAL RUNNER : Slow now decays instead of dropping off immediately
VOIDSPAWN HEALTH DECAY : Decays current health instead of maximum health
VOIDSPAWN SCALING : [100% of total armor + magic resist as bonus damage] ⇒ 15% of total health as bonus damage
VOIDSPAWN HEALTH PER LEVEL :  ⇒ 20
DAMAGE PER LEVEL :  ⇒ 5
- "Now that we think players have good ways to deal with this (see: ability power damage to structures, etc), we're giving it some extra love. Also, please don't build this item against Nasus. Trust us. "
- Armor :
50 ⇒ 60
- MAGIC RESISTANCE :
50 ⇒ 60
- [NEW] UNIQUE PASSIVE : Point Runner - You now gain the movement speed while near fallen turrets
- VOIDSPAWN BASE DAMAGE AGAINST STRUCTURES :
50 ⇒ 100
- VOIDSPAWN BASE DAMAGE AGAINST NON-STRUCTURES :
20 ⇒ 50
- VOIDSPAWN TIME UNTIL THEY BEGIN TO DECAY :
4 seconds ⇒ 5.5 seconds
- VOIDSPAWN ACQUISITION RANGE AGAINST INHIBITORS :
300 ⇒ 350
- VOIDSPAWN ACQUISITION RANGE AGAINST NEXUS :
300 ⇒ 450
It looks like a lot of changes, but the short of it is that Zz'Rot Portals are now treated as, for all intents and purposes, structures (ie: Towers / Inhibitors). Also Voidspawn now have less magic resistances and deal less damage to structures, but deal more damage to minions in the early game. Also the first and every fourth Voidspawn now get the bonus damage from defensive stats.
- "As the designer puts it, "Complex items means complex bugs." We've gone in and shuffled around Zz'Rot's coding to cement it as a structure in terms of its interactions with the game (and how it's interacted with). We also made some extra changes to help this thing settle in both its current use and potential counters."
- SAND IMMUNITY : Azir soldiers can no longer attack Void Gates
- STURDY PORTALS : Void Gates can now be collided against for the purpose of spells (like Poppy's Heroic Charge)
- I'M A PORTAL, NOT A GATE, MAN : Targeted movement spells (like Katarina's Shunpo) no longer work with Zz'Rot Portal
- STRUCTURAL IMMUNITY : Attack modifiers that don't affect structures, like Corki's Hextech Shrapnel Shells passive, no longer affect Void Gates
- Portal Mechanics
- LIKE A VOIDSPAWN SPITTING TURRET : When attacking Void Gates, you gain the ability power to structure bonus damage. That is, if 40% of your AP equals to higher than your basic attack damage, you instead deal damage equal to 40% of your ability power.
- ARMOR :
60 ⇒ 115
- MAGIC RESISTANCE :
40 ⇒ 20
- BASE HEALTH :
50 ⇒ 40
- HEALTH PER LEVEL :
20 ⇒ 15
- BASE DAMAGE TO MINIONS :
20 ⇒ 30
- DAMAGE PER LEVEL TO MINIONS :
3 ⇒ 2
- DAMAGE PER LEVEL TO STRUCTURES :
20 ⇒ 10
- VOIDSPAWN BONUS : Voidspawn gain bonus damage from
50% ⇒ 100% of the summoning champion's armor and magic resistances
- VOIDSPAWN PARTY! : The above Voidspawn bonus is applied to every Voidspawn after the
fourth ⇒ the first and every fourth Voidspawn
NEW Zz'Rot Portal
- "You can now build Portals which spawn little Voidspawns who explode on enemy structures.
- Think of this new item as a follow-up to our original preseason promise of adding more strategic diversity to League of Legends. Specifically, the Zz'Rot Portal is designed to provide tanky dudes with a new way to opt into pushing strategies while also having enough utility to be used in other creative ways."
- RECIPE : Raptor Cloak + Negatron Cloak + 950 gold
- TOTAL COST : 2800 gold
- ARMOR : +50
- MAGIC RESISTANCE : +50
- BASE HEALTH REGENERATION : +100%
- UNIQUE PASSIVE : Point Runner: Builds up to 30% Movement Speed over 2 seconds while near turrets or Void Gates.
- COOLDOW : 150 seconds
- UNIQUE ACTIVE : Spawns a Void Gate at target location for 150 seconds. Every 4 seconds the gate makes a Voidspawn that travels down the nearest lane. Voidspawn explode when attacking structures. Voidspawn ignore champions and void targets (150 second cooldown.) After the third Voidspawn made by Void Gate, additional Voidspawn gain 50% of your Armor and Magic Resistance as damage.