Ability power increased.
We're always a little bit concerned about combat items which give slows. If an item lets you start a fight, it's a bit concerning when they can also make sure you win that fight. That being said, it looks like we released Twin Shadows weak even by that standard, so we're giving it a bit more ability power.
ABILITY POWER :  ⇒ 70
When you're feeling clingy.
BUILD PATH : Fiendish Codex + Aether Wisp + 650 gold
TOTAL COST : 2400 gold
ABILITY POWER : 60
MOVEMENT SPEED : 7%
COOLDOWN REDUCTION : 10%
UNIQUE ACTIVE : Spectral Pursuit: Summons 2 Spooky Ghosts that hunt down nearby champions, revealing them and Haunting them on contact. Haunted enemies are slowed by 40% for up to 5 seconds based on the distance the ghosts travel. (90 second cooldown)
on to the big heart of gold in the sky
Dearly beloved, friends, invocadores - we are gathered here today not to mourn the past, but to celebrate new strategies, new seasons, and new beginnings. While the items below, some of whom we've shared both victory and defeat, won't be moving on into that new age with us, we must remember them for who they were, letting them live on in our memories (even if we didn't let them into our inventories).
While not all of the below items were unsuccessful in the way you might expect, many were often restrictive, incomplete, or otherwise not very well supported, limiting design spaces for us to work. Others simply weren't worth the effort. We'll be covering some of the specifics below, but let's all take one last moment of silence before we commit them to the past. More important than providing us stats or building into other items - you built into our hearts.
On a more serious note, let's talk at-large about some items that might not be real threats to game balance (see: Sword of the Occult) but are still being removed. The answer is two-fold: design trust, and design clutter.
Design trust refers to an item sufficiently fulfilling its intended role. When a player sees X item, they should be able to trust that said item is cost-efficient and can fulfill its expectations. Some items in League just fall to the wayside (like Ohmwrecker. Every season.) and we try to cull the herd when possible (usually during preseason), but deliberately keeping an item undertuned so that it can remain fun but unbalanced is just not something we can uphold while still preserving a competitive game.
This leads to our next point about design clutter. Some items fulfill very niche roles in League and may not actually be undertuned to a very small subset of champions. In these cases we're careful to assess the individual impact of removing said item before taking action. You might have seen this with the removal of the Magus enchantment, where we had to think hard if jungle Fiddlesticks was truly going to be useless without his finely-tuned enchantment (we came to the conclusion of no). Niche items that tie themselves so closely to a champion's balance do end up skewing that champion to being dependent on the item to function, and can often ‘hide' real design problems that we can't get to.
- EVEN GHOSTS DON'T FACE CHECK Fixed a bug where the spooky ghosts from Twin Shadows would sometimes not path correctly into bushes to tag enemies
Amplifying Tome + Amplifying Tome + Null Magic Mangle + 730 gold ⇒ Aether Wisp + Fiendish Codex + 780 gold
- TOTAL COST:
2000 gold ⇒ 2400 gold
- "REMOVED" CRYSTAL SCAR & TWISTED TREELINE RECIPE:
Amplifying Tome + Amplifying Tome + Null Magic Mangle + 530 gold = 1800 gold
- ABILITY POWER:
+50 ability power ⇒ +80 ability power
- "NEW" COOLDOWN REDUCTION: +10% cooldown reduction
- "REMOVED" MAGIC RESISTANCE:
+40 magic resistance
- ACTIVE COOLDOWN (SUMMONER'S RIFT & HOWLING ABYSS): 120 seconds
- ACTIVE COOLDOWN (CRYSTAL SCAR & TWISTED TREELINE): 60 seconds
- "NEW" UTILITY: If the ghosts fail to find a target, they attempt to return to the caster. Each ghost that successfully returns to the caster reduces the cooldown of this item by 40 seconds (20 seconds on Crystal Scar & Twisted Treeline).
- NEW Recipe: Amplifying Tome + Amplifying Tome + Null-Magic Mantle + 730 Gold (Total 2000 Gold)
- Ability Power increased to 50 (from 40)
- On Twisted Treeline and Crystal Scar this item is 200 Gold cheaper
- Ability power reduced to 40 from 50
- Magic resist increased to 40 from 30
- Movement speed increased to 6% from 5%
Twin Shadows added
- +50 Ability Power
- +30 Magic Resistance
- +5% Movement Speed
- Unique Active - Hunt: Summons up to 2 invulnerable ghosts for 6 seconds to seek the two nearest enemy champions. If they touch an enemy champion, they slow his Movement Speed by 40% and reveal him for 2.5 seconds (120 second cooldown).
- Cost: 1,900 (735)
- Builds from Kage's Lucky Pick and Null-Magic Mantle