- Re-added to the game through Nexus Blitz.
Needlessly Large Rod +
Fiendish Codex + 850 gold = 3000 gold
- 120 ability power, 10% cooldown reduction.
- UNIQUE: (Active) Deals 15% of the target champion's maximum health in magic damage and increases all subsequent magic damage taken by the target by 20% for 4 seconds (750 range) (90 second cooldown).
Is gone :(
- "Our initial goal with Deathfire Grasp was to make a "tank-busting" item that could do exactly that: bust down tanks when they're knocking on the front door. After the introduction of Liandry's Torment, however, tank-busting was replaced with tank-burning and, instead, Deathfire Grasp became the item for assassins to stack another nuke spell on top of their already burst-heavy kits. While we like to keep itemization options available for those who want it, the sheer existence of Deathfire Grasp has given us a few headaches in the past and present:
- 1.) Adding Deathfire Grasp to a bursty kit really amps up that "woah what happened to me" moment when someone nukes you from orbit. In the past, when we see mages pick up a DFG to double-down on their burst, we've had to balance around that champion which, in turn, makes them even more reliant on DFG to blow people up (or they get changed so much they find an alternative playstyle). Vicious cycle.
- 2.) Deathfire Grasp also adds a lot more reliability to a mage's assassination attempts, which means they need to commit less for them. If, for example, Ahri only needs to use one charge of Spirit Rush to nuke her target (with DFG + Q + W), she frees herself to use her other two charges to get back to safety. If we accept this will always happen with DFG, Ahri ends up without a lot of extra 'power budget' to do other cool mage-y things like sustained damage or kiting.
- As we mentioned in the foreword, we're looking into champions who will be heavily impacted, but some of our larger projects (Veigar, Katarina, Mordekaiser) have to wait until 5.3. There were also a few mages we haven't given sorry-we-removed-DFG-changes to, specifically because we examined them and realized they either needed the power reduction that comes with losing DFG or they have access to alternative item paths and won't be as affected.
- Final note, we're also going to be looking into itemization opportunities for late-game mages, so stay tuned for that in 5.3!"
- [REMOVED] 2009-2015 : Deathfire Grasp has been removed from the game
Deathfire Grasp's cooldown has gone up
- "Pre-warning: this context is going to get nerdy.
- Deathfire Grasp amps up a lot of existing low-interaction gameplay (ie: huge burst with no opportunity to react) without adding more skill to the mix. While this is a larger problem we'll have to tackle in the future, we felt that it was important to at least increase DFG's cooldown so that it's more appropriately balanced against a lot of 'anti-burst' spells / items (ie: exhaust, heal, Zhonya's Hourglass, etc). If we don't have to worry about DFG turning a champion into a one-shot wizard (hello Lissandra), it also means we can potentially give healthy assassins better tools to work with."
60 seconds ⇒ 90 seconds
- Combine cost reduced to 680 gold from 880 (total cost reduced to 3,100 from 3,300)
- Cooldown reduction reduced to 10% from 15%
- Now builds from Needlessly Large Rod and Amplifying Tome
- Ability Power increased from 80 to 100
- Now grants +15% Cooldown Reduction
- Unique Active changed to "Deals 15% of target champion's maximum Health in Magic Damage then amplifies all magic damage they take by 20% for 4 seconds (60 second cooldown)."
- Cost adjusted from 2,600 (975) to 3,000 (965)
- No longer grants Cooldown Reduction
- Active base damage reduced to 15% current Health from 25%
- Ability Power ratio increased to 5% per 100 Ability Power from 4%
- Now builds out of Blasting Wand and Kage's Lucky Pick (total cost reduced to 2,600 from 2,610)
- Now grants 80 ability power and 15% cooldown reduction, from 60 ability power, 12 mana regen per 5, and 15% cooldown reduction
- Increased cast range to 750 from 650
- Active base damage changed to 25% (+4% per 100 AP) of the target's current health from 30% (+3.5% per 100 AP)
- Tooltip now updates dynamically
- Ability power reduced to 60 from 65
- Mana regeneration per 5 reduced to 10 from 15
- Max HP% damage increased to 30% from 25%
- Ability power ratio increased to 3.5% from 3%
- Deathfire Grasp added, removed shortly after