Baron Nashor is the most powerful neutral monster on Summoner's Rift. He is described in game as follows: "This is a very powerful hostile monster, approach with caution! Killing this monster will yield great monetary and magical rewards to the team, but it should not be confronted alone." Baron Nashor's name is an anagram of "Roshan", a neutral monster in Defense of the Ancients that fulfills a similar role.
Killing Baron Nashor grants the Hand of Baron buff to all living champions on the team lasting a maximum of 3 minutes. This buff gives massively increased attack damage and ability power as well as an aura that promotes nearby minions and a recall time decrease.
The new Baron Nashor has a different set of abilities. The following table shows a known set of abilities that Baron performs. While they are not revealed in-game on a death screen, their debuffs and animations are visible and distinctive.
|Crowd Control Immunity||(Innate) Baron Nashor is rendered immune to any form of crowd control.|
|Void Corruption||(Innate) Baron Nashor is surrounded by an aura of destruction. If angered, he deals 60 + (20% total attack damage) every basic attack and spike attack, (these occur every 0.75 seconds). Baron corruption attack is also represented with different visual particles now to make the difference more clear. (Champions gain corruption by being hit by his basic attacks).|
|Voracious Corrosion||Applies a stacking debuff that reduces target's armor and magic resist by 0.5. Stacks upto 100 times for a total of 50 armor and magic resist reduction.|
|Sweeping Blow||Knocks all champions away from the Baron by 600 range. This range is equivalent to the distance between the Baron and the entrance to his locale.|
|Tentacle Knockup||Similar to |
Cho'Gath's Rupture which knocks up the target high in the air, approximately the height of Baron himself. A small circle appears which seems to have a tentacle charging power up to unleash and knock all those who stand in the AoE.
|Acid Shot||Baron spits acid in a straight line, capable of leaving the pit. This deals magic damage and adds a large number of corrosion stacks to each target hit.|
|Rear attacks||Baron does not like being hit in the back. People standing behind Baron and outside the pit are hit by an AOE spike attack that deals physical damage to all targets hit and stuns them for 1 second.|
|Acid Pool||Baron spits out 3 green round pools in a cone front of him. This deals magic damage to all targets hit and creates slowing field.|
|Baron's Gaze/Damage reduction||Baron reduces all damage to him by 50% from the champion he attacks. This debuff lasts for 15 seconds, thus enabling this debuff|
- Baron Nashor is often a key objective in games because of its massive gold bonus and global buff as well as a powerful buff that enables teams to crack the base.
- Baron is immune to all forms of Crowd Control. However, any damage with the Crowd Control is dealt.
- While soloing Baron is possible on some champions, it is not recommended. The key to soloing Baron is to have a high amount of damage per second, along with lifesteal(or similar sustain).
- Killing Baron is simplest with the help of a whole team. Baron will usually attack the target closest to him, so players may trade off on tanking by moving closer or further to/from him.
- It is common for teams to put a ward in the Baron pit or in the river near Baron. Before attempting to kill Baron, it is recommended to either place a Vision Ward or use an Sweeping Lens to kill the enemy wards.
- Because the Hand of Baron buff is given to the team that deals the killing blow on Baron, it is possible for players to steal the kill after the enemy team deals most of the damage. While it is easiest to steal Baron using the Smite summoner spell, some champions can steal it with abilities like
Cho'Gath's Feast or
Graves' Collateral Damage.
- When Baron dies, the Hand of Baron buff is only granted to those team members who are currently alive. Dead team members will respawn without the buff. Unlike the Ancient Golem and Lizard Elder buffs, the buff will not transfer when a player with the buff is killed.
- Unlike it's predecessor, Exalted with Baron Nashor, the effectiveness of Hand of Baron is not as reduced by killing memebers who have the buff. As long as one member has the buff, minions will be buffed.